THE CALVINIST REFORMED CHURCH OF HAJDÚBÖSZÖRMÉNY
Location: Hajdúböszörmény, Kálvin tér 19, Hungary
It was built between 1897 and 1898 in the Hungarian town of Hajdúböszörmény, at the initiative of the Calvinist Reformed Congregation from the city, as well as following the intercessions of the initiative Committee composed of main representatives of the community at that time. The consecration ceremony took place on 19th of November 1899.
On the place where the church stands today, at the time of commencement of works, was the old inn of the village. The construction was extended to a much wider area, reaching the line delimiting the old town center from the green space. Building the Reformed Church was strongly supported by the local council at the time, by financing the works, especially by donating the plot of land and the buildings from Kálvin Square in favor of constructing the ecleziastic building.
The religious monument of our days is the result of the architectural plans made by the skilled architect of the time, Kálmán Gerster, and the construction works performed by Richard Röszler from Debrecen.
The building has a rectangular shape, with a length of 44.5 m and width of 24.5 m, and with a capacity of 2,000 seats. Domed ceiling presents paintings specific to reformed churches and the superior circle is supported by pillars.
The church tower, with a height of 47.7 m, has a rectangular shape up to the height of the church wall, after which it becomes octagonal. The tower was once inhabited by a person responsible for pulling the bells, supervision of the clock and alerting in case of fire.
Currently in the tower there are three bells, although initially the tower was equipped with four bells. The biggest of them weighs 1048 kg, has a diameter of 128 cm and bears the name of Sóvágó family, who donated a part of the inheritance for realizing this bell. The huge bell is a historical legacy, being made in 1898 in Arad (today in Romania), by Frigyes Hőnig. The inscription engraved in the bell’s metal bears the witness of its history forever:
“FOR THE GLORY OF GOD, MADE FOR THE HAJDÚBÖSZÖRMÉNY REFORMED CHURCH BY FR. HŐNIG ON 21ST OF MAY 1898 IN ARAD. IMRE SÓVÁGÓ JR. AND HIS WIFE ZSUZSANNA P. NAGY FINANCED THE COSTS OF THE BELL FROM THE LEGACY LEFT BY PARENTS AT REST: ANDRÁS P. NAGY AND MÁRIA NAGY”
The clock from the tower represents another attraction of the Church because of its mechanical control system and of the pendulums with which it is provided. It is in function even today, although, in time, the mechanism was replaced with an electric one. The object is a jewel of impressive proportions, bearing the mark of mastery of the craft of art behind the origin of its creation.
The three hands organ is an instrumental masterpiece dating from 1898, the creation of József Angster. In 1914 it was modified and reconditioned, and in 1943 the bellows was electrified.
The Calvinist Reformed Church is a national monument of Hungary, of a great cultural and religious importance.
Attractions of the Church:
- The tower with a height of 47.7 m
- The Sóvágó bell from the tower, realized in 1898, with a weight of 1048 kg, a diameter of 128 m, engraved with the inscription of its sponsors
- The clock with pendulums from the tower
- The three hands organ, an instrument realized in 1898
Other tourist attractions nearby:
- Hajdúsági Hajdúböszörmény Museum (Hajdúböszörmény, Kossuth Lajos utca 1)
- Hajdúböszörmény Town Hall (Hajdúböszörmény, Bocskai István tér 1)
- Reformed Church (Hajdúböszörmény, Bocskai tér)
- Bocskai Square Reformed Church (Hajdúböszörmény, Újvárosi u. 1)
- The Assumption of Mary Church (Hajdúböszörmény, Újvárosi utca)